04 August 2011

My Love Affair with Assam Laksa

I had my first Assam Laksa in Malaysia (KL & Penang) and after my first bowl of noodles I knew that this will become one of my favorites.  My first bowl was at KL Pavillion's food court that has become a regular thing for me whenever hubby & I are in Malaysia.  I have also tried the ones at Little Penang Cafe which also serves a pretty mean Char Kway Teow.   The Penang Assam Laksa is actually ranked 7th of the 50 Most Delicious Food in the World...need I say more!
For those of you who have not tried Assam Laksa it's not for everyone. It's actually an acquired taste like eating blue cheese or bagoong (shrimp paste) perhaps.  It may not be delish for some but for me, I love it the first time and yes it's fishy but in a good yummy way.  I craved for it every now and then.  Assam Laksa is a fish broth noodle soup that is spicy, tangy, pungent & full of wonderful flavors. The key ingredients of this bowl of goodness are Tamarind or Assam in Malay, Daun Kesom/Daun Laksa also known as polygonum leaf (Vietnamese mint) & the aromatic ginger flower. It has julienned cucumbers, chunks of fresh pineapples and shredded mackerel.  Did I tell you that it comes with dark shrimp paste on the side.  Yum!
So when I get a sudden craving for Assam Laksa in Singapore I go to "Penang Asam Laksa" at 76 Geylang Lor 25A  near Aljunied MRT Station.  It's probably one of the closest (flavor & taste wise) Assam Laksa to the one I had in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment