27 December 2011

Oh My Crab Bee Hoon!

This has been brewing in my draft box for weeks and imagine if this is real food stored in my draft box it'll start to smell already!  Eeek!   Anyway, I only had Crab Bee Hoon twice at the same restaurant and really I've got nothing to compare it with.  So, note to self -- to try other Crab Bee Hoon!  I hope this post will also help me find other yummy Crab Bee Hoon to try through the help of my not so many readers or followers.  
Just our luck we got a female crab with lots of roe! The gravy is not too thick and just perfect for the bee hoon. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, this is not for you.  I'm lucky I have a husband who does all the cracking and shelling for me...haha!
The best part is when the bee hoon get all soaked up and absorbed the yummy goodness of the gravy.  Slurp away!

This is the same restaurant that for me serves the best Bak Chor Mee in Singapore.  Did I mention that they also have this wonderful Fish Maw Soup?   When two hungry campers go to a restaurant they tend to order a bit too much.  So we also decided to order the Fish Maw Soup and some stir fried kai lan with crispy salted fish.  
For those who doesn't know what is a Fish Maw--it is actually an air bladder of a large fish which helps regulate oxygen that's why fish can ascend or descend in the water. The definition makes it sound like its not appetizing at all.  Fish maw is not far from cheap, it's actually one of the luxury ingredients in Chinese Cuisine. According to Wiki, it also helps with our blood circulation and beneficial to general health. 
The Fish Maw Soup to me is a meal on its own.    
Now, this veggie dish looks simple but overall it's really good and has a lot of flavor going on in one small plate.  I can taste a hint of belachan (shrimp paste), ginger and garlic.  The fried salted fish is perfectly crisp and not too salty.  It's a bit addictive, once you start you can't stop!  If you wanna have some Crab Bee Hoon just head over to Seng Kee at 316 Changi Road.



No comments:

Post a Comment