24 April 2011

My Sweet Italian Escape - Tiramisu

I love Tiramisu!  I have tried different kinds from all over, even in Rome.  I always consider the one I had in Rome as the most authentic of the lot but I also had a few here in Singapore that does not disappoint. I made my first Tiramisu late last year and the picture shown below is my most recent one (which was made today).  I got the recipe from the Food Network by Giada De Laurentis. It's probably one of the easiest dessert to make and literally fool proof. It was not as intimidating as I thought it would be.  I wanted to make something fast and no fuss and this is it. The perfect dessert to make for the ladies who are always "on the go" and for guys who wants to please their lady love without making a big mess in the kitchen.  
The photograph below was taken 4 hours after.  My finish product!
Most Tiramisu recipes calls for dark rum and for some they use marsala wine but I decided not to add any alcohol in my recipe which still turns out to be yummy.  And instead of using chocolate shavings I opted for a dusting of cocoa powder and ground coffee mixture as garnish.  I like to keep it in the fridge for about 8 hours but more often it's halfway gone before it reaches sundown.  So realistically, it stays in the fridge for 4 to 5 hours before serving.

This recipe was adapted from Giada De Laurentis.  Do check out her recipe books at Amazon!
Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California Giada's Family Dinners Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favorites
Ingredients:
6 eggyolks
3 tbsps sugar
1 pound mascarpone cheese
2 tbsps dark rum (optional)
1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled
24 packaged Lady Fingers
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish

Directions:
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat eggyolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes.  Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth.  Add 1 tbsp of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.  

In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum.  Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for only 5 seconds.  Letting the ladyfingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart.  Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of a 13 by 19 inch baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary in order to fit the bottom.

Spread evenly half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.  Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.  Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours.  Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings.

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment