24 June 2011

Chipotle Chicken Wings

Hubby found this recipe months back from Esquire magazine whilst surfing the net for chicken wings recipes.   He showed me the recipe and hinted that I should try it out.   It took us a while to complete the ingredients as we cannot find celery salt.   So, we decided to just skip the celery salt & be done with it.   It came out pretty good but I always wonder what would it taste like if we added 2 tablespoons of celery salt in this recipe.   Oh well...I would only know until I find celery salt here in Singapore.  
The recipe calls for another ingredient that I don't have in my pantry which is  Mexican Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce.   But thanks to hubby, he found a Mexican stall that sells them at Kallang Leisure Park...only to find out later on that Cold Storage had it all along.  The recipe requires cumin, coriander, onion, garlic, paprika, cayenne & chilli powders which are expensive if you buy it in bottles (like McCormick's).  I regret buying the spices early on in the supermarket when I should have gone to Little India.   A bottle of McCormick's Chilli Powder will cost you about S$5.00 when you can only get it at S$1.30 in MUSTAFA!!!


This will be the fourth time I am making this recipe.  It became a favorite of my husband and requested it for his birthday (including a dish of Lasagna & Tiramisu).   It's pretty easy to make and will definitely be a hit on every party table.   I served mine with homemade deep fried potato wedges, carrot & cucumber sticks with sesame dipping sauce as well as my very own "lime ranch sauce" for the wings.
You need 24 pieces of chicken wings (I get mine frozen), a can of La Costena Chipotle  Peppers in Adobo Sauce, Chilli Garlic Sauce (Lee Kum Kee), & any kind of good strong beer (I use Carlsberg).  
In a blender, add 1/4 cup of Chilli Garlic Sauce & Chipotle Peppers.  Place your blended chilli mixture together with all the powdered spices & a cup of beer (adding more if the mixture is too thick). Whisk everything together. Combine chilli mixture to chicken wings & use plastic gloves to fully coat the wings in the marinade. Put in the fridge for 24 hours. Note: Do not marinate more than 24 hours as it will make the wings extremely spicy!!!
Heat the oven to 350 degrees.   Evenly space the wings on a cookie sheet or aluminum foil and bake for 15-20 minutes. To check if they're done, slice into a wing, right near the bone.  If it's still red, put it back in the oven. While the wings are in the oven, you have enough time to whip up a sauce...use your imagination.   
It's simple & fool proof.  Mouth watering goodness...spicy, tasty & it's baked!  No oil or butter was use in this recipe so I would say it's better than deep fried.  Goes well with tart sauces like lemon butter sauce, mild salsa with lots of lime juice...yum & you can also pair it up with blue cheese sauce.  Enjoy!

     
          

No comments:

Post a Comment