11 June 2011

My Weekend-Part One

I haven't been blogging for weeks since my transfer to a new department at work.   Nowadays I look forward to weekends as that's the only time I can explore Singapore for great food and shop.  I have two weekends of posts and photographs which I haven't gotten the time to sort out until now.  I'll most likely make my posting in 3 parts as I am 3 weekends behind.

A week ago, hubby & I watched Pirates of the Carribean 3D on IMAX at Lido.  It's the first IMAX in Singapore while Lido just recently opened its doors after six months of renovation.   But our usual haunts like Starbucks, Mc Donald's, KFC, Long John Silver's and the Bubble Tea shop I like were gone!   

So here's what we had for lunch after the movie.  Ayam Penyet (Smashed Chicken) at Ayam Penyet Ria in Lucky Plaza (popular & probably the best in Singapore).  Lucky Plaza is a shopping mall (probably one of the oldest buildings) along Orchard Road where most Filipinos and other foreign overseas workers hang-out every weekend.  It's a treasure chest of Philippines local food from "tapsilog" (marinated beef strips with garlic fried rice & egg) at Jologs and other Filipino dishes from over 5 stalls.  
Ayam Penyet is a fried chicken, lightly smashed and flattened, served with rice and sambal (chilli paste).  The sambal is not just a condiment, its a speciality on its own.  The sambal must taste just as good or even better than the chicken. Its a bit too spicy for me but the flavor is so intense, a little sweet & tangy that I still eat it with my chicken even when my lips has gone numb.
The chicken is crisp and tender.  I love the crispy bits they put on top!  Sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, blanched kangkong and deep fried tempeh as garnish.  Tempeh is fermented soybeans made into patties which originated in Indonesia and used worldwide in vegetarian cuisines.  So if you guys are anywhere near Orchard this weekend you might want to try the Ayam Penyet!  Caution: LONG QUEUE DURING LUNCH HOURS.

Ayam Penyet Ria
Lucky Plaza, #04-25/26/27
and #01-45/46/47
Tel: +65 6235 6390

After lunch, we stroll around Orchard Road and I can't help but took shots of these...


No comments:

Post a Comment