15 June 2011

My Weekend-Part Two

This perhaps was a weekend full of yummy food!  Our first stop was lunch at Shimbashi Soba.  A handmade soba restaurant located at Paragon Mall. If you haven't tried soba it comes in either hot (with soup) or cold noodles. If you can't decide which one to try, there's actually a set that comes with both.  I'm not a big fan of soba but my husband does!  He prefers the cold soba noodles which I think is a delightful meal.  


So here's what we had...
Hubby had the cold soba noodles.  I actually like it better than the hot soba.  It's very light and the noodles are firm but not hard. Many people think that the best way to experience handmade soba is to eat them cold.  I suppose if you try it hot the consistency and texture of the soba changes.  
I ordered a bento (Shokado Set B) which consists of a bowl of hot soba, salmon sashimi, grilled unagi, deep fried soft shell crab with agedashi tofu and slices of watermelon.  It was such a feast!  I was actually pretty hungry and left with a very happy tummy.  Overall, it was a pleasant experience and I would definitely come back just to have soba and try other things in the menu.  Did I mention we had desserts too!!!
This Japanese bowl of treasure made my day!  It's called Cream Anmitsu and it has an assortment of Japanese delicacies like soba balls, red bean, jelly cubes with some fresh fruits and vanilla ice cream served with brown sugar syrup.  Another inch on my waistline!
We kinda gotten overboard with the desserts.  I didn't know that hubby ordered another dessert and I thought that we were just gonna share the Animitsu.  Imagine my surprise when I saw this plate of Japanese dessert selections coming to our table.  It's a Shimbashi Special Dessert Set (crepe with light cheese cake filling topped with fruit & mango sauce, homemade glutinous cakes, soba balls, red bean, green tea ice cream & sweetened fried soba).  This is only lunch...wait until you see what we had for dinner!  I left the restaurant sugar high!

Do check out Shimbashi Soba at www.sobaworld.com.sg!  Also do check out the recipe books below.  I love Harumi's cookbook!  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment